Are you on the hunt for a pre-owned car that’s in great condition? Welcome to Jim Sipala Kia of Coatesville! Our team of automotive experts is here to help you discover the vehicle you need for all of your drives around Coatesville, Lancaster, and Reading, PA.
To help you find a car that you’ll love to drive for years to come, we’ve put together this helpful used car checklist. Here, you’ll learn everything that you’ll need to check before making your used car purchase.
Check Before You Drive
The very first step to buying a used car is setting a budget. You’ll want to be sure to factor in the cost of fuel and insurance. Then, double-check the price of the vehicle you’re considering before you go any further.
When you find one of interest, you’ll want to make sure that the interior and exterior of the car are up to your standards before you even get behind the wheel.
- Check the body: Take a walk around the outside of the car and check for scratches, dents, rust, and inconsistencies in body color—these can indicate that the car has been in an accident. Small scratches are expected from normal use, but anything larger could be a sign of other issues.
- Look under the hood: Lift the hood and take a look around the equipment underneath, paying close attention for excessive dirt or any signs of rust. Also, ask to see the car’s maintenance reports and if there are any repairs that still need to be made.
- Inspect the cabin: Climb into the cabin and test out all the seats for comfort. You’ll also want to check that the front seats can be adjusted properly. Pay attention for stains, rips in the upholstery, and any strange smells.
- Check the dashboard: Are there any indicator lights on the dashboard? You don’t want a car that already has problems.
During Your Test Drive
Slide into the driver’s seat and take the car out onto the streets for yourself, being mindful of the following…
- Listen: Pay attention to any strange sounds coming from the vehicle, especially roaring or knocking from the engine.
- Check the brakes: Check that the brakes feel firm and competent, even when coming to a fast stop from a high speed. Listen for squeaking, and pay attention for vibrations.
- Accelerate: Get onto the highway and bring the car up to speed, paying attention to the ease of doing so, and the feel of the ride quality.
- Inspect equipment: Turn on the radio, check the CD player, and make sure that all other technologies are in good working condition. Try the air conditioning and heating to make sure they work well.
Discover Your Pre-Owned Car
That’s all there is to it! Now that you’re an expert in checking used cars, it’s time for you to find your own for your commutes around Coatesville, Lancaster, and Reading, PA. Contact Kia of Coatesville today to schedule your test drive!